Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Week Log: May 19-25

Mon-AM: 18 miles (2:20) Garden of the Gods+barefoot
Really enjoying this spate of warmer weather. Took it nice and easy, but the legs actually felt pretty good. Afterwards, refueled with several plates of appetizers and glasses of punch at CC's graduation reception.
PM: 5 miles (:40) North Monument
Legs felt surprisingly good. Ran in the FiveFingers for a first time in a while.


Tue-AM: 16 miles (2:01) North Loop then South Santa Fe Trail
5x2min hard/1min easy, 1xmile in 5:25, 3x2min hard/1min easy
This wasn't a great workout. It was hot and windy; I was dehydrated, starving, and sleep-deprived and that one mile was quite a bit tougher than it should've been so I bagged the last couple of "on" segments and just jogged it home.
PM: 7 miles (1:03) Palmer Park with Jocelyn
This was a great run in the FiveFingers. I felt way way better than this morning, and adding a pair of insoles to my FFs provided the perfect extra little bit of protection that my foot needed.


Wed-AM: 16 miles (2:08) Broadmoor/Cheyenne Mt. Zoo
First time I've really explored around over there and there ain't much exploring to do because of all the exclusiveness ridiculousness.
PM: 9 miles (1:29) 666-Mt. Buckhorn Loop w/ Jocelyn and Koch
I'd planned on doing more than this, but we were so hungry by the end that Jocelyn and I just went straight to Chipotle and Josh and John's instead.

Thu-AM: 10 miles (1:30) No Name Creek and back from Manitou w/ Jocelyn
I was planning a much longer run this morning, but for some reason my body was still feeling beat down so I just decided to make it an easy day and have the weekend come a day early.

Fri-AM: 52 miles (7:05) 666-Pipeline-Frosty's Park-Baldy Summit-Frosty's-701-Jones Park-7 Bridges-Buckhorn-Monument Loops ~7000' climbing
This was a great great run where I was really cooking a lot of the day. Baldy is 12,349' and I felt pretty good getting to the summit in 3:31 from my doorstep. However, it was super windy and pretty cold on top and started snowing just as I was leaving and the snow actually chased me all the way back down to 8000' or so. The route I took back down (701) contours at ~10,000' for a long time so the storm had a while to catch up with me. Overall a very good run.

Sat-AM: 43 miles (6:00) 666-Jones Park-Pipeline-Beaver Meadows-701-Frosty's-Mt. Rosa Saddle-St. Mary's Falls-Buckhorn-Monument Loops. ~6000' climbing
Another very solid long run. I was definitely tired/sluggish most of the day, but I just settled in and went with it. I'm really enjoying exploring all the trails up there above 9000' that I never really got to last summer. The trail down off of the Rosa Saddle (11,000') towards St. Mary's Falls is especially cool--I want to run up it sometime soon.

Sun-AM: 15 miles (2:02) Garden of the Gods
Tired from the last couple big days.
PM: 6 miles (:54) Bear Creek from Wal-Mart w/ Jocelyn
Felt horrible. Just a bad time of day. Got some heat training in at least, I guess.

Total: 197 miles (27:12)

Kind of a weird week. It didn't go exactly how I wanted it to, but the back to back long runs were perfect. Showed some restraint on Sunday in that I didn't add on to the horrible evening run just to get 200 miles for the week. Right now it's all about listening to my body while still trying to cram in as many miles as possible. I'm just listening a lot more closely than I did last year.

4 comments:

Al Glenn said...

Anton,interesting week. Ups and downs can be frustating and rewarding. Awareness of ones being is hard to pinpoint,yet seems to unlock our potential (as runners and humans). Great two days and smart end. Good luck at WS. Thanks for sharing your travails. Peace,Al Glenn.

atwell said...

Anton, have you had a chance to check out the new inov8 230s? What do you think of them?

The Running Actor said...

Are ya still with La Sportiva...?
steve

CoreyH said...

I'd love to know about what type of insoles you managed to fit into your fivefingers. I've tried wearing Injini socks which helps too, but I like the insole idea.